Development Programs of community products quality of food and beverages in the central and northern region: Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Samut Sakhon, Nan and Mae Hong Son provinces
The Department of Science Service, Ministry of Science and Technology, induced the policy of applying knowledge in science and technology to increase the competitiveness of the country and to increase the possibility of expanding the market. This is to accommodate changes and trade liberalization of ASEAN in 2015.
The community food and beverages category is regarded as one in five of the One Tambon One Product (OTOP) Project because food and beverages are considered to be one of the four fundamental necessities of life. Moreover, Thailand is an agricultural country, an important food source, making food products and beverages highly potential in global expansion to be the economical products.
The development of community food products (OTOP) to acceptable standards of quality and safety will enhance the value of local products leading to increased revenue and opportunities for local entrepreneurs to expand into the ASEAN market. However, there are many producers that fail to meet the Office of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards and Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI ), which provides a limitation in expanding the markets. The key issue that resulted in failure to meet the standard is the lack of science and engineering knowledge regarding food and beverage. This includes knowledge of different aspects such as safe processes, the shelf life of product and the value addition by improvement of the packaging (Figure 1.1).
The local government such as the Office of Community Development, Provincial Industrial Office and Commerce Bureau, has implemented promotions and development of the OTOP entrepreneurs in the food and beverage areas. They provided local support centers, basic manufacturing equipment and tools, training programs to ensure high standards and safety for customers, knowledge about the packaging design, traditional knowledge passed on from ancestors which contribute to the conservation. The food and beverage product design is tailored to fit with the lifestyle of the people. The government also provide guidance and training about the market and trade channels. These trainings to improve the quality of products in scientific ways are still not enough and the coverage is still limited, so in order to improve the quality of food and beverage community enterprise it is important to provide advisors with knowledge and expertise in the development of quality products.
|(A) fried bananas||(B) fried garlic|
Figure 1.1 The food products of entrepreneurs that lack knowledge of preservation and packaging
Due to the rationale given above, the Department of Science Service prepared a project to develop the quality community food and beverages products in the northern and central regions. This is for the products to receive community standards certification and/or to gain the approval of the Office of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in order to increase the acceptance and trust of consumers. The objective is to raise the standards of the entrepreneurial community for food and beverage products in North and Central region. The certifications will lead to and increase competitiveness of the products at the national and international levels, especially to accommodate the changes and ASEAN trade liberalization, in 2015.
- To develop OTOP products of foods and beverages category in targeted areas for high quality production to meet the standards.
- To provide advice to the entrepreneurs of the community products of food and beverages category in targeted areas for successfully entering community standard certification process or to apply for a Food and Drug Administration (FDA.)license.
- To strengthen the capacity of the community products entrepreneurs for increasing revenue and market channels.
Scope of Work
- The advisory panel does public relations, admission and selection of local products (OTOP)entrepreneurs. The process is as follows:
- Coordination of relevant departments such as the Office of Provincial industry, Provincial Community Development Health Office, Community Development Office, Provincial Commercial Office and Entrepreneurs of Food and beverages community products etc.. The coordination is for gathering information on OTOP entrepreneurs of food and beverages in the central and northern region that are not certified by community standard or the certification expired, and they would like to apply for accreditation according to the standards such as community products standard, standard according to the Ministry of Public Health announcement.
(1) Curriculum and training plan / seminars / disseminate technology.
(2) Conduct media to public relation the program and broadcast to the targeted OTOP entrepreneurs.
(3) Hold ceremonies to launch the project with the Department of Science Service, Ministry of Science and Technology. The ceremonies are to be held three times in three different areas, depending on the deliberations of the Advisory Board and the Department of Science Service. Along with this process is to explore the readiness of the entrepreneur of community products.
(4) Recruitment of entrepreneurs of the registered Community Product (OTOP)to join the program in northern and central areas.
(5) Selection of food and beverages product entrepreneurs in the central and northern areas that are not certified or with expired certification and would like to apply for the certification.
- The development of entrepreneurs of community products, Food and Beverages category for preparations of certification process is done by the Advisory Board through the following activities:
(1) Training arrangements and disseminate technology of primary GMP and other standards, also the standard certification process for products to meet the standards. The activities should take place not lesser than 3 times with not lesser than 400 participants.
(2) Conducting surveys and preliminary diagnosis on the quality standards issues, and providing the initial consultation to entrepreneurs participating in the program.
(3) Development of plans and providing in depth mentoring to the enterprises by categorizing groups and individual products of more than 50 products to enter the certification standards such as TISI, Ministry of Public Health, etc.
(4) Consulting in depth advice to entrepreneurs at the enterprise to improve the manufacturing process in accordance to the standards such as of primary GMP, GMP. Also, providing guidelines and problem solving if the product does not meet the standards.
- The Advisory Board give consultation for certification standard appeal:
(1) To provide the participated entrepreneurs guidance on applying for standardization certification.
(2) To send product samples for testing at the laboratory or external certified agencies.
(3) coordinate with relevant agencies to apply for accreditation for the entrepreneurs of the community products.
- The development of network by organizing seminars, brainstorming and sharing of experiences. This also includes study visit at the enterprise or where the entrepreneurs operate with good practices in 2 places, such as:
(1) Where the seminar was organized to create a network between entrepreneurs of products in targeted communities and government agencies, and related private sector agencies with at least 10 participants.
(2) Developed guidelines to enhance the development of entrepreneurial community products to drive revenue and increase opportunities to expand marketing channels.
- The monitoring and evaluation of the operation by the consultants and the Department of Science Service:
(1) Monitor and evaluate training and give consultations.
(2) Following the submission of certification standards and other documents such as the test results of products' quality.
(3) To randomly inspect the enterprises or groups of entrepreneurs for community products.
(4) To prepare a preliminary report. (Progress Report No. 1).
(5) To prepare a report on progress of project implementation (Progress Report No. 2).
(6) To prepare a complete report.
- The program closing ceremony includes:
(1) To document the result of local products development and quality management of food and beverage category in the target area for the Department of Service Science.
(2) To organize seminar to present the findings and results of the project and publish the results of operations through the website.
(3) held a press conference and close the project.
Area of operations
The Central and Northern regions such as Suphanburi, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Mae Hong Son and Nan provinces.